Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I'm working away on those Christmas wall hangings and thought that I'd better post something, even a past, but yet to be finished project.

This is a table runner that was made out of 5" charm squares. As I post more and more, you'll see that I like to make table cloths, table runners, place mats, wall hangings, etc., because they are quicker, cheaper to make, and easier to squeeze into my tiny home. I don't have much room, so I rarely make a full sized quilt.

Back to the 5" charm squares. This technique may be used with any sized charm square, not just the 5"ers. This runner took 34 charms (16 light, 16 dark) and 2 for the cornerstones. Two 5" charms yield 2 smaller star point blocks. In other words, each of these larger blocks (there are 8 larger blocks in this runner) contains 4-5" charms, in two color combinations. Confused?......me too. I learned how to do this at a class and I'm not sure about actually showing you the technique. I'm sure it may be found in many charm patterns with a little search. It's a beginners project, yet it looks like you would need to be a somewhat experienced quilter. Not so. The charm squares were provided in the class, so there was very little planning or complicated fabric selections. It just seemed to work as long as you had contrasting light and dark fabrics. I like this runner but I still hope to make another one with my own fabric choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment