Thursday, October 9, 2008

This is my second Psalms block representing Psalm 1: 1-3. "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditated day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers."

I chose fabrics that were blue or had blue in them. The darker blue represents the streams of water, the brown represents the tree trunks, and the lighter blue represents the trees. You can't tell much by this photo, but the lighter blue has leaves on it. I liked this because it shows leaves that are not withering and the blue indicates that water flows through the leaves, sustaining them. Same thing for the trunk fabric. It has blue running throughout. The outer gold fabric represents God, just as in my first Psalms block.

This was a fairly tough pattern because of the four inset pieces. I did this block by machine, even the inset pieces, and didn't have too much trouble. I find that if the inset pieces have angles greater than 90 degrees, I can still use my sewing machine by putting my needle down at the intersections and maneuvering the fabric. It's a bit of a tug of war, but if you take your time, you can make it work. Of course, this is the perfect block to hand piece, but I knew I wouldn't have the time for hand sewing.

I'll be receiving four Psalms blocks every month, so I don't know that I'll be able to keep up. For today, I can say that I'm up to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment