Tuesday, October 14, 2008


Here's this week's Psalm block. Whew..... this one was tough to construct. I use Electric Quilt 5 (EQ5) to draft my patterns and this block came up with pieces requiring 43 and 47 degree angles on some of the pieces. Certainly, not your standard angles. I ended up using a combination of rotary cutting and template cutting to get all of the pieces cut. I'll bet I spent 2 hours getting the pieces cut and another 4 hours putting the block together. Sew....press.....sew.....press. All of the pieces had to be organized and laid out before making the block, as it's almost impossible to tell the difference between the 43 and 47 degree pieces. After all was said and done, I probably could have just used the standard 45 degrees and it would have gone together fairly well. When you are working with triangles and bias edges, you do have stretching and tweaking ability. Well, no matter. It's done and I'm pleased with the results.

I'm sure hoping that all of the upcoming blocks in this series won't be this complex. Maybe they will send a simple block every few weeks to give us an easier project. We'll see.

And this was my inspiration, Psalm 19:1-6. "The heavens declare the glory of God: the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech: night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech of language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the end of the world. In the heavens He has pitched a tent for the sun, which is like a bridegroom coming forth from his pavilion, like a champion rejoicing to run his course. It rises at one end of the heavens and makes its circuit to the other; nothing is hidden from its heat."

No comments:

Post a Comment