Friday, February 22, 2013


HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLIVER!
 
Today is Oliver's 17th birthday.....or at least his "approximate" birthday.  I adopted Oliver from the ASPCA 16 years ago and the vet estimated his age at 1 year at that time.  Since his assumed birthday is February 22, also George Washington's birthday, Oliver's middle name is Washington...... Oliver Washington.
 
I had no intention of adopting a cat.  I stopped at the pet shop to pick up dog food for my Labrador, Arielle (she passed away a few years after I adopted Oliver) where the ASPCA had set up an adoption area in the store for the day.  Long story short, I fell in love,  filled out the application and Oliver came home with me the next day.
 
He and Gracie have enriched my life in so many ways.  All of you pet lovers understand that a pet in your life can be one of your greatest comforts.  Gracie passed last July causing great grief for Oliver (and me) but he now seems to be doing well on his own.
 
I don't know how much longer I will have Oliver.  He has two life threatening health issues that are somewhat under control as of this writing.  I hope to have a few more years with him, but this is an unknown, making this birthday very special. The quality of his life is still very good but it could change in a heartbeat and I keep very close tabs on his health and behaviors. 
 
So, today, I celebrate Oliver's loving personality, his unconditional love, and his tender charm.   I thank God for creating animals that would become faithful, loving companions through life's ups and downs, giving everything of themselves, asking nothing in return. 
 
Happy Birthday, my sweet Oliver!

8 comments:

  1. Olive is beautiful. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet of you to wish Oliver a happy birthday! Both Oliver and I thank you!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Oliver! 17ish is quite a milestone for a kitty. My kitty is about 11 years old and still has lots of energy. Our pets are such a sweet addition to our family. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the birthday wishes, Carol! Cats seem to remain kittenish until the very end, always enjoying a romp with a new toy or a run through the house. Very entertaining!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to Oliver! The picture of your two kitties together is beautiful.

    Above my computer is a photo of our Gennie who passed several years ago at the age of 18. I smile and am warmed by her pretty face everytime I look at it and remember her gentle, playful ways. The love of a cat is for always.

    Please give OLiver a rub behind the ears from me ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you to wish Oliver a Happy Birthday, Pat! Under normal circumstances, we will usually outlive our pets. Even though we know there will be heartache, we also know they will enrich our lives in endless ways. Memories are always with us and can't be taken away. I will give Oliver that ear rub and please give your Gennie photo a smile and nod from me!

      Delete
  4. Happy belated birthday to Oliver, it sounds like he has really enriched your life. It is funny how we sometimes end up with pets. I had no intention of having a cat again and then in the space of 2 years......3 poor strays showed up. We now have 3 spoiled kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Connie! It would certainly be hard to turn my back on a pet in need of a good home whether I wanted another or not. Your kitties certainly found the right house with someone with a soft heart!

      Delete