Thursday, January 5, 2012

I've been working on my Wonky House Block exchange and I'm finding it to be quite challenging.  I started out with paper piecing, but found it wasted too much fabric because of all of the angles.  You paper piecers will understand this issue.  Anyway, I switched to a template method.  I cut most of my pieces larger than the templates and it went together fairly well.  I knew that I could trim it down to 12 1/2" if it turned out too large.  Being "wonky", the rules of normal quilt block construction just don't apply which is a saving grace.  Accuracy, as such,  is not as important as regular piecing.  No points to match, etc.  Here's everything cut out and ready to sew.  I had the first two rows pieced before I realized that I wanted to take a before picture.

This is the finished block, trimmed down to 12 1/2".  I may switch a few of the fabrics on some of the next blocks.....I have eleven more blocks to make....but they will all be similar to this one.  It all depends on how much of the same fabric that I have.  For instance, I know I don't have enough roof fabric to make 11 more roofs with this fabric.  I'll just "build" one house at a time and see how they turn out.


  1. what a gorgeous little house ... and thanks for sharing your piecing ideas ... and yep .. paper piecing certainly can use heaps of fabrics ...

    hugs ...

  2. Your house is really cute! I love the background fabric.

  3. Jeannie, I'm in your swap group and love your house. I still need to start mine which I hope to in the next week. Thinking I may start and get the signature blocks done first. It's nice to meet you.