Project Runway reveal time....... This weeks' challenge was to make an outfit for a model wearing stilts. A really goofy challenge, in my opinion, as it seems like the challenge was simply to make a longer outfit than normal. The runway on the TV show was outdoors, so I've taken Cara's finished shot outdoors too, while hoping that no neighbors came out to see me playing with dolls!
These are the fabrics that I chose. I was happy to be back to a normal fabric, instead of pet supplies, but still found lots of difficulties making this outfit. More later.
Here is Cara in her "stilts." I used plastic straws for her stilts and simply taped them to her legs. She wasn't in these very long, so I don't think it was too rough on her. I only started this challenge last night, so there wasn't much time to make the outfit or much time for her to have these things strapped to her legs.
Here's my finished project. I wanted to make a palazo pant with an over skirt, but too many things, including time restraints, kept me from making what I had designed in my mind. I had to simplify just about everything to get the outfit finished in time. I had also planned on sleeves...but again....didn't have the time to make those. An easier halter was made instead. I used chains to trim the waist and to tie her halter top in the back.
Here's a great shot of the back of her melted skirt! Yeah, really. Those stripes are Cara's stilts showing through the melted hole. I used my mini quilting iron which is just the perfect size for these tiny seams. I had tested the temperature and had no problem until I let the iron sit for awhile, then touched the fabric. Instant melting! Apparently, it got considerably hotter while not being used. It was too late to start over, so I had to leave it. I also had problems sewing the fabric. Nothing has gone smoothly yet, but the finished project.....from a distance......is somewhat acceptable. And, as usual, more lessons have been learned the hard way!