Friday, January 20, 2012

My 12 Wonky House Swap Blocks are all finished!  Because no one will receive more than one of my blocks, it wasn't necessary to make them different.  Many of the swappers are doing just that....making 12 different blocks.....but due to time and not wanting to get overwhelmed, I chose to make the same basic block.  They all ended up being squared up a bit differently, just due to the construction.....more sky....less sky......more ground.....less ground....more to the right....more to the left.  A few of the roofs are different and a few of the ground fabrics are different.

I just need to sign my siggy blocks and get them all in the mail next week.  I won't receive my swap partners blocks until mid March-ish and I'll post them when they arrive.  I can't wait to see all of the different wonky houses!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Along with 12 Wonky House Blocks, we are to make 12 signature blocks to enclose with each house block.  I made these last night and just need to sign them.  They are 5" square.  It was nice to have a quick project to work on and complete in just 30 minutes.  Now, I must get back to house construction....

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I'm finally able to reveal another Christmas project.  It arrived last night and now I can show some photos.

This wall hanging was made for my SIL, Patti, who went on an African mission trip last summer.  I wanted to make something that would bring back memories of her trip.  First of all, this is not my design.  It was made from a pattern called "My Favorite Earrings!" by Sandy Fitzpatrick.  The only change that I made to the pattern was to reduce the pattern pieces.  The hanging was supposed to measure 40" x 43" and mine ended up measuring 22" x 38".  I figured it would still be plenty large at this smaller size....and....what if she didn't like it.....I didn't want it to be too overwhelming.  Here's the full wall hanging.

It was fun to pick out all of the batik fabrics for this hanging.  Many of the fabrics came from my stash.  I did have to buy the background and the backing (same fabric).  None of these pictures show much of the quilting.  The entire brown background was stippled and the bright border just has straight stitching lines, about 1/2" (or less) apart.  All of the applique pieces were fused and stitched with a narrow zigzag stitch.  The small lines on the butterflies were hand back stitched.

So that's it for Christmas 2011.  I suppose I'd better get moving on Christmas 2012!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

I've been working on my Wonky House Block exchange and I'm finding it to be quite challenging.  I started out with paper piecing, but found it wasted too much fabric because of all of the angles.  You paper piecers will understand this issue.  Anyway, I switched to a template method.  I cut most of my pieces larger than the templates and it went together fairly well.  I knew that I could trim it down to 12 1/2" if it turned out too large.  Being "wonky", the rules of normal quilt block construction just don't apply which is a saving grace.  Accuracy, as such,  is not as important as regular piecing.  No points to match, etc.  Here's everything cut out and ready to sew.  I had the first two rows pieced before I realized that I wanted to take a before picture.

This is the finished block, trimmed down to 12 1/2".  I may switch a few of the fabrics on some of the next blocks.....I have eleven more blocks to make....but they will all be similar to this one.  It all depends on how much of the same fabric that I have.  For instance, I know I don't have enough roof fabric to make 11 more roofs with this fabric.  I'll just "build" one house at a time and see how they turn out.