Here's my big Project Project Runway reveal. Let me tell you, this isn't what I had in mind! (You can click on her photo for a closer look at her outfit.)
I used every bit of Cara's swimsuit. The top was cut apart and the bra cups were inverted to make pockets on her top. I split open the bottoms and removed the crotch area, then added the gathered skirt.
I had problems just because everything is so small. You cannot sew these tiny clothes the same way you would sew normal sized garments. After I had removed the crotch area from the swimsuit bottom, I tried to sew my gathered skirt to the bottom. My sewing foot was too big to even get to the area. I can't even explain everything that went wrong, but the skirt seams started out on the sides with pockets, but when I couldn't sew it to the swimsuit bottom, I had to split all of the seams on the bottom, move the skirt around, remove the pockets......blah, blah. You had to be there to understand this. What I did learn is that everything has to be done in long seams.....for instance, there is no way you could sew a set in sleeve the normal way...you'd have to sew it to the shoulder, then sew a long seam up the sleeve and down the torso. Still can't explain this, but you clothing sewists will understand this.
I won't know what the next challenge is until tomorrow, but I know that my brain will have to adjust to tiny construction techniques and not normal sewing methods. None the less, it was fun to play around with this challenge. Here's a link to check out the other contestants' entries. Many are really cute and clever!
Cara, my sweet model has no shoes yet! Her feet are not made as small and curved as the regular Barbie doll feet, they are wider and more flat. I'm on the lookout for wider shoes. Next picture session, I'll just cut off the photo and not show her feet!