Wednesday, September 3, 2008


Fall apple baking time! I threw (you throw a pot, so is this the right word for past tense?) this apple baker in a pottery class a few years ago and just love to use it. It makes a simple apple turn into a "fancy" dessert. I wasn't sure how big to make the center post, but this seems to be OK. If I were to throw another, I believe I would make the post a little thinner because I have to remove a pretty large core area to fit over it. Of course, you don't have to make your own apple baker! You can find them in most stores that carry housewares and cooking supplies.



I really don't have a recipe and I don't think you can really do this wrong. First, core the apple. As you can see, I pretty well butchered this apple by using a short, stubby knife. Not to worry....it will be fine. If you want, you may peel the apple. I like the extra chewiness from the peel.


Mix up a equal parts of sugar and cinnamon (maybe half a teaspoon to a tablespoon of each) and a tablespoon of butter. I've never used margarine, but I think it would be just fine. If you have raisins or nuts on hand, these are great additions. Put the apple on the baker and stuff it with your mixture. You don't need to be neat and the exact amounts do not really matter.

Microwave the apple for 5 to 7 minutes, depending on the size of the apple. It's done when it's tender. You can also bake it in an oven (what's that, you say?) for 350 degrees for 25 minutes or so......again, until tender.

Here it is plated. It's not very pretty but it sure tastes good! Cut it up and dip it in the sweet sauce. It's really yummy, quick, and easy enough to make.
Enjoy your fall apples!



No comments:

Post a Comment