Friday, July 20, 2012

A new project in the works.......



My sister Patti is getting married in October.  She and her fiance, David, already have about everything that they need, so gifting was a problem.  I decided to make them a wedding autograph quilt and asked Patti if she thought that would make a good gift.  She thought it was a great idea and I asked what colors she would like.  Green and brown.  I can go ahead and blog about this since it isn't a surprise.

Off to the quilt shop to buy fabric!  The fabrics above will make the entire top, which will consist of 100 blocks.  All batiks (and one Moda Marble) so that it won't be feminine.  Click on the photo for a closer look.  There will have to be some doubling up of signatures because I didn't want the quilt to be too huge.  (The last fabric on the left actually has a lot of green in it, although the picture only shows blue and brown from the way I folded it.)  From left to right...... the border fabric, the binding fabric, the center fabric which will be the autograph section, then the last two fabrics will make up the blocks along with the light colored center.  I didn't buy the backing yet, but with brown as the binding, I'll easily be able to find a nice green and brown backing fabric.

My block pattern is very simple so that I can get the blocks done fairly quickly.  I'll be able to rotary cut everything and chain sew the pieces. 

My plan is to get the blocks done as quickly as possible, iron freezer paper on the center autograph section to make signing  smoother, and mail the blocks to Patti.  They will not be sewn together into a top at this point to make signing them easier.  She could also mail some blocks out to people that won't be able to attend the wedding.  

My finished quilt gift will have to be belated, as I'll have to wait until the wedding is over and everyone has signed the blocks.  Then I'll sew them together......quilt them...... and give them their "official" gift.  Sounds easy enough......right?!  ;)  We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment