Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I finished my contest wall hanging....the one from a few posts down.  We were given a packet of precut, fusible applique pieces, plus a background fabric.  We were allowed to do anything we wanted, as long as we used all of the provided shapes and the background fabric.  From that point, we could add more fabric, buttons, any kind of embellishments, etc.  Well.....here's my finished wall hanging!



My hanging is approximately 21" x 24". The cat was my addition and the flowers and bugs were redesigned from the original picture that was provided.  I used a small zig-zag stitch to sew all of the pieces down.  After seeing how many pieces were going to be attached, I thought a satin stitch would eat up too much thread....I'm a cheapo....so the zig-zag stitch was chosen.  The background was stippled and the border was just evenly stitched around.  I have never stippled before and was quite nervous about wrecking all of my hard work.  It ended up being pretty easy, once I relaxed and just let the needle do it's job.  My tension was all wrong but I decided to just leave it instead of taking all of the stitches out.  The next attempt will be better.  Live and learn.


My butterfly and dragonfly are three dimensional.  I folded the shapes in half and fused them together, making them a double layer, but half the intended size.  I added floral wire around the shapes on the wings and covered the wire with a zig-zag stitch, which makes them flexible and stable enough to stand away from the hanging.


I delivered my hanging yesterday.  It was due July 1st and I managed to get it finished between a summer cold and a pulled back.  It's amazing that the housework can be put off but not a sewing deadline!  All of the hangings will be hung on July 1st and will be voted on during the month of July.  If you happen to be in Roanoke, IN at the Fabrics and Friends Quilt Shoppe, I'd appreciate your vote!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE your wall hanging. It is just soooo cute! Fantastic details and 3-D effects. Nice job on all the quilting... the center stipling makes all the details stand out and the border quilting really frames it all nicely. Wish I was close enough to vote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathleen. Wish you were closer too....we could have quilting days together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Jeanie, i LOVE that little quilt! I'm with the other commenter, the details really make it stand out!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete